State deputy Emidio de Souza (PT) sent letters to the Tarcísio de Freitas government demanding a response to the cases of students who will take the Provão Paulista and will have to take the exam in locations very far from their homes. According to the parliamentarian, there are reports of students who will have to travel more than 500 km to be able to participate in the selection process.
The new entrance exam, which takes place between November 28th and December 1st, will be applied to all high school classes in public schools in the state. Students from the federal public high school network will also be able to participate, including from other states, and will be allocated in the capital of São Paulo.
Emidio says he has received complaints from students at the Federal Institute of São Paulo (IFSP) who reside in the state, but will not be able to take the tests in their hometowns and will also need to travel to the capital.
“Many students do not have the financial means to move from their city of residence to the capital in order to participate in Provão Paulista”, says the parliamentarian.
The PT member highlights that only three of the 41 campuses of the São Paulo federal institute are in the capital. And he says that students who are in the cities of São José do Rio Preto and Presidente Prudente, for example, would have to travel around 500 km to participate in the test.
“I request that, urgently, the two issues raised above be resolved, in order to guarantee the participation of all 11 thousand IFSP students who wish to take the Provão Paulista”, says Emidio, in a letter sent to the governor of São Paulo, Tarcísio de Freitas (Republicans), and the secretaries of Education, Renato Feder, and of Government, Gilberto Kassab.
When contacted by the column, the Department of Education says that the rules of Provão Paulista are clear and have been widely publicized since September 15th.
“On September 29, the D.O.E. [Diário Oficial do Estado] informed the rules for students who do not belong to the state network, which includes those enrolled at the Federal Institute of Education, Science and Technology: ‘The place of application of the Provão Paulista Series I, II and III for students from other unit networks federative is restricted to the capital of the state of São Paulo'”, he states.
“Thus, the Department of Education guaranteed students in state education and other public schools the right to participate in Provão Paulista. Registration for students from federal schools or other states was available between September 29th and October 6th. The department registered interest from students from different locations in Brazil, such as Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais, Pernambuco, Pará and Rio Grande do Sul”, he adds.
The ministry also states that the exam “is an innovative public policy implemented by the current state administration” and that “it will open new doors for students from the public network to enter universities linked to the Government of São Paulo, with a total offer of more than 15 thousand places in courses at USP, Unesp, Unicamp, Univesp and Fatecs”.
The Provão Paulista is a serial entrance exam, that is, it will be applied in all grades of high school, and admission to university will depend on performance in the three years.
As the exam is being implemented now, 2023 graduates will only take this year’s exams, on November 28th and 29th. In 2024, students will already have assessments for two years to be considered and, from 2025, for the entire course.
Actress Bete Coelho received guests at the premiere of the play “Ana Lívia”, at Teatro Anchieta, at Sesc Consolação, in São Paulo, last week. The show is directed by Daniela Thomas. Director Monique Gardenberg was there.
with BIANKA VIEIRA, KARINA MATIAS It is MANOELLA SMITH
LINK PRESENT: Did you like this text? Subscribers can access five free accesses from any link per day. Just click the blue F below.