Marina Silva: understand in 7 points crisis with Lula and centrão – 05/25/2023 – Politics
The National Congress imposed, in the same day, a series of defeats on the Minister of the Environment, Marina Silva (Rede) —the main one, after the political articulation of the government gave in to pressure from the centrão with the endorsement of Lula (PT).
Next, 7 points to understand the crisis.
1) What is trigger of the crisis? The wear and tear of the minister and the environmental agenda, which had already been the target of clashes within the government with the dispute between Ibama and Petrobras due to the oil exploration plan at the mouth of the Amazon, was aggravated by the advance this Wednesday (24) of a provisional measure to reorganize the Esplanada dos Ministérios.
The MP was approved by a mixed commission made up of deputies and senators and foresees changes in the structure of the government that strengthen the center and remove power from Marina.
2) What other points aggravated the wear? Also this Wednesday, Marina suffered yet other defeats in the plenary of the Chamber. Deputies voted on an MP edited at the end of the Jair Bolsonaro (PL) government and resumed excerpts that loosen the rules for protecting the Atlantic Forest —items that had been withdrawn by the Senate. The text goes to Lula’s sanction.
The Chamber also approved an urgent request (to speed up the processing) for a Temporal Framework project, which limits the demarcation of indigenous lands to occupied territories until the enactment of the 1988 Constitution. The request was approved by 324 to 131.
3) What is Lula’s hand in the crisis? It is in the MP for the reorganization of the Esplanada dos Ministérios, the text, authored by the leader of the MDB in the Chamber, Isnaldo Bulhões Jr. (AL), dehydrated the government’s environmental policy.
The Lula government’s orientation was for base parliamentarians to vote in favor of the text —since the Executive is in a hurry, since the MP will lose its validity on June 1st. The provisional measure still needs to be voted on in the plenary sessions of the House and Senate.
The original MP was edited by Lula right at the beginning of the government with the new organization of the Esplanada dos Ministérios. It was she who increased, for example, the number of ministries from 23 to the current 37. But the text approved by the deputies in the commission weakened Marina and generated a reaction from the minister herself.
4) What MP points weaken Marina? The management of ANA (National Agency for Water and Basic Sanitation), now responsible for the Environment, was transferred to the Ministry of Integration and Regional Development. The portfolio is headed by Waldez Góes — despite being from the PDT, he was nominated by União Brasil parliamentarians.
Isnaldo’s report also passed the CAR (Rural Environmental Registry), an instrument to control private lands and conflicts in preservation areas, from the ministry headed by Marina to that of Management and Innovation in Public Services.
The body is considered important for managing the inspection of environmental crimes in rural properties, such as land grabbing and deforestation. Parliamentarians linked to the ruralist agenda defended the transfer of the CAR to the Ministry of Agriculture —resuming the structure of the Bolsonaro government.
5) To whom and why did the government yield? During the negotiations on the MP, the Lula government acted to try to avoid defeats in priority areas and ended up giving approval for the dehydration of Marina’s ministry.
The government’s political articulation yielded to pressure from the centrão, mainly from the ruralists, to shield the Civil House, responsible for executing the most important projects for the president, such as the PPI (Investment Partnership Program).
The Planalto assessment is that the concessions provided for in Isnaldo’s report would be inevitable with the current correlation of forces in Congress. The political wing had the diagnosis that it would be very difficult to face the articulation of the ruralist caucus in the agrarian and environmental area.
6) The what does the government say? The leader of the government in Congress, Senator Randolfe Rodrigues (non-AP party), voiced this assessment. According to him, the Executive tried throughout the morning to reach an agreement with the rapporteur to try to reverse points related to the environmental agenda — without success.
“We, the government, have not been able to move forward although we have advocated, but none of the aspects of the environmental issue have managed to make progress,” he said.
Randolfe said, however, that the government was victorious, having managed to maintain 90% of the provisional measure sent to Congress.
7) What does Marina say? She complained about the dehydration of the Environment. “President Lula’s credibility, or the Minister of the Environment, is not enough. The world will look at the legal framework and see that the government structure is not the one that won the elections, it is the government structure that lost. This will close all our doors,” he said, in a hearing at the Chamber’s Environment Committee.
According to her, the changes could jeopardize the trade agreement between Mercosur and the European Union, since the Europeans have been trying to impose firm environmental restrictions for the signing of the term.
Marina also said that she will try to revert the alterations during the procedure in Congress. “We are going to have to have a debate, I hope there is the necessary understanding to prevent us from doing this amputation”, she said.
She also called “any attempt to dismantle the Brazilian environmental system” a “disservice”.