The Minister of Education, Camilo Santana, said this Tuesday (26) that the government will create scholarships and savings for high school students and that the proposal is expected to be launched in mid-October.
The program aims to combat school dropouts and has been designed since last year, due to a commitment made with the then presidential candidate and now minister Simone Tebet (MDB).
“When a student reaches high school, at the age of 14 or 15, it is usually at that stage that, given the family’s difficulties, they need to work. So, the student often drops out of school, misses too much, fails. The idea is to give aid to this young man, which will be monthly, and aid that will be a savings, for him to receive at the end of high school”, Camilo told journalists at Palácio do Planalto, after launching a program on connectivity in schools.
The program does not yet have a name or defined values. “It is being completed within budgetary limitations,” he added.
According to the minister, the modality will be a savings grant. According to the idea, every high school student would receive an amount per month, and another will be deposited into a type of savings account at the end of each year.
The student will have to comply with compensations that are being established, such as adequate attendance in the classroom and approval in subjects.
“This savings could increase every year. It will be deposited in full at the end of the year and he will withdraw it at the end of high school, which he will use to open a business, to go to college”, stated the portfolio holder.
The program will be a partnership between the MEC and the Ministry of Regional Development. The government will cross-reference information from CadÚnico and Bolsa Família with the Inep School Census (National Institute of Educational Studies and Research Anísio Teixeira).
According to Camilo, the government must still decide whether to implement the program through a provisional measure or bill, but the objective is for President Lula (PT) to launch it in mid-October.
The creation of a federal scholarship program in secondary education was a commitment made by the then candidate for Palácio do Planalto, Simone Tebet. Before announcing her support for Lula, she made it a condition to incorporate this promise into the PT government program. Today Tebet is Minister of Planning.
In the campaign, she promised a payment of R$5,000 at the end of the stage. The senator spoke about preventing young people from falling into the “neither-nor” category (those who neither study nor work).